Features of the Water Temperature Distribution on the Surface of Lake Hovsgol According to Remote Sensing Data from Satellites
The surface temperature of the reservoir is a significant characteristic of the state of the lake ecosystem and one of the most important parameters, allowing to identify climatic changes. The purpose of this research was to study the peculiarities of spatial-temporal distribution of the temperature on the surface of Lake Hovsgol useing remote sensing data from satellites so as remote sensing is an indispensable tool to study large inland water bodies, including Lake Hovsgol with water area of 2, 67 thousand square kilometres. In the course of the present study a series of maps of water surface temperature of Lake Hovsgol during the open water period according to AVHRR (Advanced Very High Resolution Radiometer) data from 1998 till 2015 was composed, intra-annual and interannual variability in temperature distribution on the surface of the lake was studyed and it was found that the highest interannual variability of Lake Hovsgol surface temperature was observed in August, when the maximum warming of the surface of the lake was occurred. The impact of the most significant factors on the formation of the maximum temperature values on the surface in exposed parts of Lake Hovsgol was analyzed. With the use of reanalysis data of NCEP/NCAR (The National Centers for Environmental Prediction / The National Center of Atmospheric Research) it was shown that the relationship of maximum temperatures of water surface in the exposed parts of the water bodies with surface air temperature averaged for the month preceding the observed maximum temperature of the water surfaces for Lake Hovsgol was determined as high with the correlation coefficient of 0,61. The relationship of maximum water temperatures with the timing of the final disappearance of all ice on Lake Hovsgol was described as moderate negative with the value of the correlation coefficient of -0,47. Using the water surface temperature distribution maps of Lake Hovsgol the localization and characteristics of the thermal bar and pelagic upwelling in the lake and their interannual variability for the period 1998–2015 were also defined, the factors affecting the character of these dynamic phenomena were studied.
1. Atlas ozera Hubsugul (Lake Hubsugul atlas). Moscow, 1989. 119 p.
2. Drjukker V.V., Dutova N.V., Kovadlo A.S. Virioplancton and bacterioplankton in an Alpine lake Hovsgol (Mongolia) [Virioplankton i bakterioplankton vysokogornogo ozera Hubsugul (Mongolija)]. Reports of the Academy of Sciences – Doklady Akademii Nauk, 2011, vol. 440, no 2, pp. 282-285.
3. Semovskij S.V. [et al.] The use of satellite observations to study the thermal lake Baikal fronts [Ispol'zovanie sputnikovyh nabljudenij dlja issledovanija termicheskih frontov ozera Bajkal]. Earth observation and remote sensing – Issledovanie Zemli iz Kosmosa, 1998, no 5, pp. 65-76.
4. Naumenko M.A., Guzivatyj V.A., Karetnikov S.G. The thermal regime of Lake Ladoga [Termicheskij rezhim Ladozhskogo ozera]. Ladoga (Ladoga). Saint Petersburg, 2013, pp. 137-151.
5. Kozincev V.I. [et al.] Optiko-jelektronnye sistemy jekologicheskogo monitoringa prirodnoj sredy (Optoelectronic system of ecological monitoring of the environment). Moscow, 2002. 528 p.
6. Sutyrina E.N. Izuchenie vnutrennih vodojomov i vodosborov s primeneniem dannyh distancionnogo zondirovanija Zemli (The study of inland water-bodies and watersheds using remote sensing data). Irkutsk, 2014. 133 p.
7. Sutyrina E.N. Predicting the Timing of the Final Disappearance of all Ice on Large Inland Water Bodies in the Angara River Watershed Using Teleconnection Indices [Prognozirovanie srokov ochishhenija oto l'da krupnyh vnutrennih vodojomov na territorii bassejna r. Angary s ispol'zovaniem telekonekcionnyh indeksov]. The Bulletin of Irkutsk State University. Series “Earth Sciences” – Izvestiya Irkutskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta. Seriya “Nauki o Zemle”. 2016, vol. 15, pp. 114-124.
8. Arguchincev V.K. [et al.] Numerical Modeling of Currents and Transfer of Impurities in Lake Khubsugul (Hovsgol) [Chislennoe modelirovanie techenij i perenosa primesej v oz. Hubsugul]. The Bulletin of Irkutsk State University. Series “Earth Sciences” – Izvestiya Irkutskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta. Seriya “Nauki o Zemle”. 2014, vol. 7, pp. 2-13.
9. Shlygin I.A. Populjarnaja gidrometeorologija i sudovozhdenie (Popular hydro-meteorology and navigation). Moscow, 1987. 192 p.
10. Troitskaya E. [et al.] Cyclonic circulation and upwelling in Lake Baikal. Aquatic Sciences, 2015, vol. 77, issue 2, pp. 171-182.
11. Jersabek C.D., Bolortsetseg E. Mongolian rotifers (Rotifera, Monogononta) – a check-list with annotations on global distribution and autecology. Proceedings of The Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. 2010, vol. 159, pp. 119-168.
12. Morales E.A., Edlund M.B. Studies in selected fragilarioid diatoms (Bacillariophyceae) from Lake Hovsgol, Mongolia. Phycological Research, 2003, vol. 51, pp. 225-239.